Saturday, January 29, 2011

Khira Chronicles - Lost and found


Khira comes up around the corner and notices the familiar face. She hesitates by seeing he is not alone and the feels their auras. After many considerations she approaches silently and waits in silence to be seen and recognized not disturbing the others. His eyes glow brighter as he looks at his dear friend.

 “My Khira, please approach and hug me.”

Queen Eunice glances back to Zephyr and recalls memories of numerous times when the elders have stood as one, the back bone of the Tapes strength, then looking to Frederick she replies absently not noticing the approaching girl.

“They are indeed,”  she looks out the corner of her eye to the stranger and watches her carefully closing in, looking her up and down sensing her nature and intentions. Khira stares with disdain at Frederick ignoring the Queen’s evaluation of her.

“I belong to no one but myself”

She frowns to him and turns to nod politely to the others present and speaking softly almost as a song. Frederick leans towards his Queen and speaks gallantly.

“If you’ll excuse me, Your Grace. May I introduce to you my friend Khira?”
“Pardon for my manners” Khira elegantly curtsies never losing eye contact or awareness of her surroundings as she does.
 Queen Eunice Tapes’ crystal eyes begin to change from their cold crystal form to that of a baby blue as she senses the stranger’s dark gift.

“Well good day to you Khira” She offers her hand to her, which she without hesitation takes to kiss the vassal ring.
Zephyr smiles at Frederick’s words and overdone movements but also in belief of his own abilities turn to observe the newcomer. His eyes flicker as he takes in Khira.

“Hmmm… A new face... It’s always good to see newcomers in the city”

He speaks slowly while extending his hand toward his face to flicker away a raven strand. Khira amused by the slight touch of madness that emanates from him smiles pleased.

“Sir you must confess what gave me away, if you please. It is, in fact, true, that I have only arrived two days ago.”

He nods grinning at her letting his fangs show slightly.

“These eyes of mine are ever watching the happening of this city. Your very presence is what gave you away. I hope you are finding things to your liking.”
Frederick feeling utterly ignored looks at Khira wondering if he has upset her in some way and starts to feel uncomfortable as her probes and feels the auras around, prospecting for more knowledge of those before her , she senses great power and refrains herself from her bitter humor. She nods in agreement to the Zephyr’s statement only adding a few words.

“I have found a long lost friend” she points to Frederick and gives him a tiny smile.
The Queen listens to Khira and Zephyr’s little interlude and feeling ignored decides to interrupt the happy gathering.

“Yes, Zephyr is right, there is little that goes on in this city of which we are not aware and our scouts and scholars notify us of any new presences within the city. So my dear, considering you have already met one of my Elders council and one of the fledglings, I must introduce myself, I am the Queen of the Tapes coven.”  With that Frederick moves to stand next to the Queen, adding proudly while looking deep into Khira’s eyes.

 “And I have sworn allegiance to the Queen.” His eyes start to dim as a wave of sadness overwhelms him at her indifference as she takes another deep bow to the Queen.

“A true honour to be standing in front of your eyes and to be worthy of your words” She raises herself once again. “I have come in search of my lost mother but I was already advised that she has departed in a mission. So now I stand here as a… tourist with no other purpose but sight seeing and being attacked by zombies.” She adds smiling.
 Eunice nods in understanding as Khira's words fall on her, images of her own past searching flashing before her eyes, only to be put to rest with the images of her own present strong family bond with her children of the night.

“Well we can't have you becoming zombie fodder now, can we? If you wish I can get Frederick to show you our humble home, there you will be very safe indeed.”
As the Queen finishes her invitation Frederick shivers and tenses waiting for Khira’s answer, watching her bowing again and nodding politely to her words. A stern look crosses her face but she accepts her offer.

“I’d be honored Milady. I intended to have a private word with Frederick, if you'll be so kind to allow.”
The Queen nods and then turns her attention back to Zephyr trying to recall their last words to one another. She calls him to her and whispers something to him before turning away. Khira can almost touch all the emanating power from them that all her skin tingles. In the corner of her eyes she sees Frederick stumble and reach out to the metal railings beside him trying to regain composure.

“Shall we?” She pronounces as she takes his side, her eyes inquiring about his fragility. He looks at her and asks softly.

“Have I upset you?”
Khira just shakes her head

“Then, why such a cold heart?”
Khira gets closer to him rubbing her forehead in his chest as an animal seeking petting.

“I do not enjoy any words that may claim possession.”

“My heart is still broken from missing your mother. I am not sure I can cope with it being hurt a second time. I much rather close my heart and freeze it in time and lock it away, then to be hurt again.” He looks at Khira not wanting to show any emotions.

“My words were not of possession but of love... Perhaps it is best that we…”
His voice trails off stopping him of proceeding as a wave of sorrow engulfs him. She looks deep into his eyes trying to read his thoughts and then holds his chin speaking solemnly.
“I will not ask for you to endure such pain, I will not claim or elude your heart as my mother did…” - She sighs and acquires a serious tone “And you must understand I am not her. I was raised by wolves; I see feelings as a sign of weakness until proven differently.”

“Very well Khira, so be it...Now if you’ll excuse me I have matters to attend.”
“Wait.” She calls as he starts to walk of, he then turns back to face her scorned look darkening his face. “I thought your priestess had given you a request to show me your quarters.” She looks at him cruelly with a dark smile starting to flourish.
“Indeed she did...It was a request not a command”
“Didn't you claim your liege to her? I believe that this is called disobedience. I will leave you but first listen to me just one more time.”
She sighs and proceeds slowly with her soul in her eyes.

“You barely know me and yet you claim love for me?” She smirks sadly. “If I stay with you with promises of love I will never know if it is because of my resemblance to her or true feelings for myself.”
She turns her back on him and adds before walking away.

“You do not know me enough to love me; you haven't tasted my blood yet…”
Frederick turns to walk off but collapses startling her. "And that would be only a drop...” she turns and sees him on the ground. She whispers to him, kneeling beside him.

"Are you OK?” slapping him gently to see if he regains his senses. His breathing is shallow and his skin is clammy but he tries to open his eyes.

"Khira… I am so…" he loses consciousness again
She throws her hands to the skies.

"Why the hell...” she lowers herself and places him on her back, walking slowly, carrying him on her back to the blood pool.
He crashes over the side and his lips suck on to the liquid as soon as she drops him slowly. She starts walking away as soon as he starts feeding.

"I am only half wolf, if I was a complete one, I’d have killed you myself"
Her words startle him and he looks up at her but remaining silent.

“Feelings make you weak... learn that “she walks away recalling the blood tears shed when her mother left and the teasing from other Lamia kids. With trembling voice she adds "I can't be weak when I have only me"

Frederick raises himself to his full height and calls out.

"Khira"
She turns slowly.

\“Don’t you understand? You are alone no longer. You have a family wanting to take you in and you have found me...A friend lost to me has been returned. I am not sure if I can remain in this city if I don't find peace here. You are a part of my life and I am not sure I can be whole again"

"I’ve been here for two days... how can I be the one to make you whole?!!" she yells "I am not my mother" and she runs fading into the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment